Severe dental phobia and dental anxiety affect the oral health of many people around the world. In fact, according to research, over 60% of the population worldwide fears dental appointments. If you are also experiencing dental anxiety, keep reading to learn more about our gentle dental care approach here at Pacific Dental Care.
Why Do People Often Feel Anxious About Dental Appointments?
People can fear dental appointments for many different reasons. Some of these reasons often include:
- Childhood trauma due to bad experiences or painful dental procedures when they were young.
- Fear of strange dental instruments and sounds.
- Being overly conscious about being judged by dental professionals for not appropriately taking care of their teeth.
- Feeling anxious about sitting in the dental chair for too long.
- General anxiety makes interacting with others hard.
How Can You Overcome Dental Anxiety?
From the moment you schedule your appointment with us here at Pacific Dental Care, our team will do our best to ensure your care is as gentle as possible. We will go through all of your specific fears and anxiety and take the time to understand why you feel the way you do.
We will also go through the entire process with you so you know which dental procedures you will undergo. We can also offer you sedation in order to calm your anxiety and keep you calm for the entire procedure.
Sedation for Anxious Patients
There are many different sedation options available for you when you come in to undergo a dental procedure. Some of the sedation options are:
- Minimal Sedation/Nitrous Oxide – Nitrous oxide is often known as laughing gas and is a very minimal form of sedation. The patient is given a facemask and the gas is inhaled through it. It will keep you relaxed yet conscious during the procedure.
- IV Sedation – IV sedation is administered when the patient undergoes a more complex procedure, such as a root canal, smile makeover, oral surgery, or wisdom teeth extraction.
- Oral Conscious Sedation – Oral sedation uses medication that is administered right before the dental procedure to keep patients calm. Many report that they have been able to remain far more comfortable with this type of sedation.
Here at Pacific Dental Care, we offer gentle dental care to help you overcome your fear and anxiety. Get in touch with us today to enjoy a stress-free procedure.
Read More About Cosmetic and General Dentistry: