Straight Smiles With Orthodontics
Whether your child needs braces, retainers or some other bite correction, Dr. Martirosyan at Pacific Dental Care is committed to providing friendly, comprehensive dental care for children and teens. Servicing the cities of Glendale, Burbank and Pasadena, Pacific Dental Care specializes in orthodontics in addition to offering a full range of dental services for the entire family.
The mission of Pacific Dental Care with children’s orthodontic treatment is to create a healthy bite by straightening teeth and helping the upper and lower jaws to align properly. If your child has a good bite, it will be easier for him to bite, chew and speak.
Our orthodontist in Glendale, may recommend a specific orthodontic treatment for your child to straighten out her teeth and improve her smile. Additionally, orthodontic treatments will not only create a great smile but also will foster good oral hygiene. An irregular bite that is not corrected in a timely manner may cause other dental problems, such as:
- Tooth Decay
- Gum Disease
- Tooth Loss
- Affected Speech and/or Chewing
- Abnormal Wear to Tooth Enamel
- Jaw Problems
If your child is showing signs of an irregular bite and you live in Glendale, Pasadena, Burbank, or nearby cities, please consider taking him to our friendly orthodontist at Pacific Dental Care to correct the problem as soon as possible.
What is Orthodontics?
Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry concerned with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of tooth irregularities and misalignment of the jaw.
Why is it important to have an orthodontic treatment?
- Correction of malocclusions (bad bite) and tooth alignment: A bad bite causes premature wear of teeth or fracture of the enamel. It can also cause problems with the jaw joint itself.
- It improves oral hygiene: Crowded teeth make it difficult to perform proper oral hygiene, causing accumulation of bacterial plaque which is responsible for producing inflammation of the gums (gingivitis), dental cavities and halitosis (bad breath).
- It improves self-esteem: It is proven that a beautiful smile and properly aligned teeth and jaws give confidence in performing daily activities, resulting in better interpersonal relationships.
How long does an orthodontic treatment take?
The length of treatment depends on the initial state of each patient, but most people are in treatment for one to three years. Treatment will evolve successfully if the patient attends diligently to oral hygiene, takes proper care of the dental appliances, and regularly visits the orthodontist. The more severe the problem the longer it will take to correct. Some patients find that their teeth can be corrected in a matter of weeks, whereas others will require a longer period of time.
At what age should I have orthodontic treatment?
Abnormal bites usually arise between the ages of 6 and 12, so orthodontic treatment often begins between ages 8 and 14. Any orthodontic problems are much easier to correct if detected at an early age, before jaw growth has slowed. However, adults also can have an orthodontic treatment; healthy teeth can be treated at any age.
How is treatment carried out?
Orthodontic treatment can be done by braces and removable aligners (Invisalign) which are the appliances Pacific Dental Care uses most commonly to guide teeth into their proper positions. Also, there are retainers which help to preserve and stabilize the results of your orthodontic treatment.
How do I care for my braces and teeth?
While having an orthodontic treatment, it is really important to visit your orthodontist on a regular basis to have your teeth checked. Below you will find few things to take into consideration regarding oral hygiene:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and, preferably, use a mouthwash. Ask your orthodontist to recommend the fluoride toothpaste for you to use.
- Clean your teeth carefully when brushing. Avoid hard brushing because appliances are delicate and may break if you are too rough. Your orthodontist will show you the cleaning techniques appropriate for the appliance you are wearing.
- Reduce your intake of sugary foods and drinks. Try to avoid snacks containing sugars and hard foods that may damage your orthodontic appliances.
Why wait any longer?
Simply schedule an appointment with our orthodontist located in Glendale (servicing the Glendale, Pasadena and Burbank areas), and you will see the difference orthodontics can make on your child’s appearance!